GEICO DRIVES A NEW AGE IN AUTOMOTIVE.
SMART PAINTSHOP WINS THE INNOVATION AWARD AT SURCAR CANNES,
THE MOST PRESTIGIOUS IN AUTO BODY PAINTING.
GEICO HONOURED FOR BEST RESEARCH AND INNOVATION WORLDWIDE.
Industry 4.0 starts here.
Auto body geolocation, safety sensors preventing malfunctions, an Internet of Things application analysing and accelerating painting phases in real time, wearable technology keeping man and machine in perfect sync, augmented reality, an innovative system controlling energy consumption and every part of the process coordinated in the cloud by J-Suite.
Nothing will ever be the same again.
Milan, 7th July 2017. On the prestigious world stage of SurCar Cannes, the much-anticipated international event recognising high tech solutions and highly innovative trends in auto body finishing and painting on the 29th and 30th June, Geico premiered Smart Paintshop, the project that is driving the Group into Industry 4.0 and revolutionizing auto body paint plants.
Auto body geolocation, safety sensors preventing malfunctions, an Internet of Things application analysing and accelerating painting phases in real time, wearable technology keeping man and machine in perfect sync, augmented reality, an innovative system controlling energy consumption, added flexibility and every part of the process coordinated in the cloud by J-Suite, the “avatar” of the auto body paint plant. These are just some of the advantages of Smart PaintShop.
Many long hours of research and high-level engineering, next-generation technology, passion and commitment are what made this project surge ahead to garner the prestigious Innovation Award at SurCar Cannes, the highest accolade in the sector at the “Olympics” of auto body painting.
Maximizing collaboration between man and machine, and optimizing production processes with Smart Paintshop, Geico is building the auto body paint shop of the future in record time. All it takes is 10 months or just 15 for more complex plants, an impossible target until now.
A complete 360, the auto body painting sector across the planet stands to gain from high-performance efficiency, safety, quality, cost savings and environmental friendliness, from start to finish.
Smart Paintshop is an integrated system of 6 strategic solutions:
- Smart Design – Developed by Geico in-house, flexible and adaptable processes that drastically reduce auto body paint plant delivery times.
- IOT System – A system that allows the plant to collect and analyse information, communicate with workers and receive their feedback on making operations more efficient.
- Production Flexibility – Technologies that allow the plant to adapt to varying production requirements (mass customization).
- Smart Plant Management – Tools that allow man and machine to collaborate, continuously monitor to ensure smooth plant operations and identify any anomalies that might compromise them.
- Smart Energy Management System – Technologies that control energy consumption and can be adjusted to match production capacity.
- J-Suite – The brains and central operating system of the plant, it is a virtual “avatar” that ensures everything operates effectively. J-Suite collects and analyses enormous amounts of data from sensors and wearable devices, “learning” the best courses of action in a variety of circumstances and improving plant efficiency and performance over time.
COO of Geico Daryush Arabnia adds: “Thank you to everyone who had a hand in making Smart Paintshop a reality. I believed in you from the very beginning and it has taken a huge commitment to get it done. Our teamwork has now been recognised and rewarded with the highest honour, the SurCar Cannes Innovation Award. The future has arrived with our flagship product, Smart Paintshop. And the exceptionally high level of automation we’ve now achieved will turn traditional auto painting on its head, allowing us as humans to best utilise our expertise, skills and experience, leaving the more ‘mechanical’ and hazardous tasks to the machines”.